30 April 2010

Sandra Bullock Adopted a Baby

We kind of stand out when we go out in public. One VERY white guy, a beautiful Mexican princess, and two very dark children. It's even more prevalent when I'm in uniform. Think neon flashing arrow point down. And people always ask us these two questions first. "Are they adopted?"...duh, and "Where are they from?" My first instinct is to say, "Oh, over at the Wal-mart on Mansfield road. Two for one special" but I figured someone could find that offensive out in PC America. They usually assume we adopted from Africa or, recently, Haiti.


It kind of annoys me that people make this assumption. The US is full of children who are in need of a good home right now. I can't really fault the average Joe though; the only people they "know" who adopt outside of their race is famous and they do it to make "a statement". So I was very excited to see the cover of People Magazine that had Sandra Bullock holding her recently adopted baby. You can read the rest of the story HERE which also talks about her divorce (none of my business), but the short of it is that she apparently had been working on this adoption in secret and its official. He's a little black by adopted from the New Orleans area. I thought it was very interesting and worth a read. Of course, the "real" story to the magazine is that she's divorcing her philandering husband. Maybe they should reevaluate priorities huh?

2 comments:

  1. I saw the article too and was excited that she adopted domestically.

    btw, I probably would say the non pc comment you have running in your head just to see peoples faces! lol

    ReplyDelete