18 June 2010

The Verdict

The family is back (YAY!) and so I thought it would be fair to do an assessment of how I spent my “man time” while they were gone.  Let me first preface my review by saying that took all of last week off.  The two weeks prior were very stressful so I wanted the vacation plus I took the opportunity to use that time to get some extra work done around the house.
As I mentioned previously I had downloaded the WoW free trial to play while everyone was gone.  I also had a piled list of “to dos”, some of which have been haunting me for a year now.  I admit that I was a little afraid in the back of my mind that I would get engrossed in playing games and general slacking off that I wouldn’t get anything done.  However, here is my list of “accomplishments”, both productive and not, for my week:
·         Tarred and patched potential holes in the roof, preventing leaks
·         After we had the flood last year and put tile in, the floor was too high for the door to our laundry room preventing its use.  Cut ½ off the bottom and hung it.
·         Hung and powered oven hood that’s been sitting in the garage for a year
·         Bought, cut, and installed backsplash
·         Installed utensil rack above stove
·         Installed carpet terminator at the point where it meets the tile (also a year over due)
·         Did all of the laundry in the house, folded it and put it in its appropriate location
·         Washed all of the dishes and maintained the cleanliness
·         Bought, cooked and ate seafood
·         Grilled ribs for the first time
·         Bought shelving unit for the garage, bought air tight tubs of varying sizes, put all of the various bulk goods sitting in bags throughout the house into the tubs, labeled them accordingly and stacked them neatly and easily accessible on the shelves
·         Cleared, consolidated and reorganized spice shelf and pantry.  Labeled pantry
·         Watched 5 or 6 “Laser Movies” (aka Man movies) that Holly would never watch with me
·         Made level 27 with my character on WoW
·         Watched the entire first season of Spartacus (NOT family friendly btw)
·         Mowed the yard and began to weed-eat before the rains came
·         Ensured the gardens at home and abroad were properly maintained
·         Printed off and entered some of my better photos into a gallery at church

Now granted all of this was done as a single person so my normal responsibilities as a husband and father didn’t “interfere”-so to speak.  Over all I’m quite please with what I was able to accomplish and I really enjoyed the time to unwind from work.  I’m thinking that Holly is so impressed by the work I did that she’ll make the trip a yearly occurrence, not likely though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to accomplish all the 'honey do's' while Holly and the kids were gone. We throughly enjoyed the full house and the bonding time that was made with our new grand kids. We're hoping we weren't a problem while we were there and would like to do it again in December.(minus Lauren & I) Thanks again for sharing Holly and the kids with us.-Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Chris!! I had a couple days like this last week while my mom had my kids. It feels great, doesn't it!
    And if I were Holly, I might would make that trip more than a yearly occurrence :)

    ReplyDelete