02 June 2010

Meaningless, Meaningless, Everything is Meaningless

Some time ago my wife relayed on her blog a revelation I had. I love video game, always have (that’s not the revelation). Since I played Ernie’s Magic game on my dad’s Commodore 286 I’ve loved them. I grew up on Nintendo, moved to Nintendo 64 (Goldeneye is still the best game ever!), then to Playstation and finally settled into computer games. I’m pretty picky about what I play but if I find something I like I will play it forever! I play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion fairly regularly (5 years old) and I still spin up Starcraft every once in a while (over a decade old). The real Lifesuck is the MMORPG. For those not hip to the lingo, a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game is like a regular game just on a global scale. It’s a huge world where you interact with game characters as well as real live people who are also playing the game. I call it a Lifesuck because that’s exactly what it has the potential to be. For the average person who gets into it (usually guys) it will consume your every waking hour, either playing or thinking about playing, and several of your sleeping ones too (I really have had dreams about playing World of Warcraft (WoW)). I have spent DAYS of my life (not all at once though) playing these types of games, very often ignoring my duties as a husband and home owner. There are stories of people letting their children starve because they played too much and at least one person died while playing.


So my revelation. I realized why games are so popular to people like me. Beyond the simple fact that it lets weaklings and geeks be heroes on a grand scale, I think there’s more to it. I think it fills the void that would normally be filled by actual accomplishment, i.e. satisfaction from our work. Ecclesiastes 2:24 says, “A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God”. We are supposed produce, accomplish, or complete something however today most jobs are just a mundane passing of time in order to get that check. Really, how much satisfaction can a receptionist get from her daily work of answering phones? Or take my job. Everyday I fix the same problem, or similar one, move the same furniture and fill out the same report, and tomorrow I’ll do it all again. It’s really hard to feel fulfilled by that kind of repetition. So games give you little micro rewards, the next level, next good piece of armor/weapon, a little something to brag about to other unfulfilled people playing along side you. But at the end of the day, what’s the point? You haven’t achieved anything. Your house is still a mess, you’re health is worse off, and your wife is probably mad at you. It’s a series of 1’s and 0’s that don’t care if you’re there or not and if the power goes off at the wrong time all of your “work” is lost to cyberspace for ever. I realized this after the first season of gardening. I got a real since of satisfaction and accomplishment out of my hard work and sweat and at the end of the day I had food on the table to show for it.

So that being said, I still play games though I’ve gotten much better at managing my time and learning the skill of disconnecting myself from them when needed. I prefer to play games that are pausable so that I can get up at a moments notice. I’ve gotten away from the Lifesuck of the MMO, in part because of the reasons mentioned but also because of the added monthly cost for most. That was until I read THIS article in the Simple Dollar (I’ll wait for you to read it). The SD is a financial blog about a guy who was completely upside down in his finances and now turned his life around, makes a living doing what he loves and helps others along the way. He pointed out that if you view gaming as a hobby (which is what it should be) that you partake in for an hour or so a day, it’s relatively inexpensive and fairly relaxing. I hadn’t taken this view point into consideration. If I look at it as my hobby, some guys fish, some guys golf, I slaughter Orcish hordes, then it’s no different. The problem is the time management and getting addicted, which I can do easily I’ve discovered. So as I’m typing this I’m also downloading WoW. But like The SD says, if I play for an hour a day, I’m only paying a few cents, I have a chance to unwind, I can socialize a little, and, if I do it right, I can get my “fix” and disconnect and move on with my life. That’ll just have to be key, if I can pull myself away easily. I know I had difficulty when I played before but that too was in part to my real life friends (vs. the online ones) playing alongside me so there was a bit more peer pressure as well as camaraderie whilst playing that I won’t have this time. Plus, it’ll give me something to pass the time and keep me out of trouble while I’m deployed. I don’t know, I’m thinking of playing next week when Holly and the kids are in New Mexico (in addition to doing some house work too of course). We’ll see. If I realize that it’s just a hobby, it’s not going to give me any lasting satisfaction, there are more important things to do, and not neglect my family I should be alright.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! Joe was never addicted to video games but he definetly was to sports (ESPN, ESPN.com, and anything else) but he realized most of his weekend that is the only real time he has with us he was doing that so now we check scores and watch a game every once in awhile but mostly the weekends are filled with playing with the kids or building something. He LOVES the feeling of building something we need or want. So far he has learned how to make candle stick holders, he is working on learning how to make pens and he has built our entertainment center and working on the chicken coop. Caden gets to spend time with his daddy watching him do something that he is proud of and helping occasionally. Joe I think is a little afraid of me manning a saw so I watch from a distance usually the pool with Casey LOL I don't know why people are so worried about me with sharp objects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm beginning to wean myself from computer games altogether. Not a conscious decision, mind you, my interest is just waning for some reason. Conversely, I can't even entertain the idea of an MMORPG. As you know I am very addicted. I don't think I could regulate it.

    However, I am creating my own pencil and paper RPG. I finally got tired of D&D constantly upgrading to a new edition and dropping all support on the older ones. Plus I've always had issues with the way most fantasy RPG's have treated both the mechanics and the storytelling of their worlds. I don't expect this project to be completed in a particularly quick fashion, and it will probably need a lot of test play to work out the kinks, but I think it will finally combine all of the realistic game mechanics and mythical storytelling elements I have missed in other venues.

    Guess we better get the Homestead Project up and running so we can play on a regular basis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley, I think it's because they've met you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary, I remember some of your gripes and concerns about RPGs and I'm looking forward to playing. I too was/am less interested in games than I was but I think that's because 1) I have other things I have to do/need to do and 2) I just don't buy new ones so I get bored of the old ones. Then one day I'll fire up something and I'm hooked for a few weeks before I get bored again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, you've pretty much described it for me, too. I do have one or two fairly new ones, but even they have paled for me. Mostly I sit around playing them for a short enough time period that it feels like I hardly advanced within the game or I play them for far too long and I feel like I let real life get away from me. Plus, anymore I just want to be with friends. Despite the fact that I know the Homestead Project is quite a long term thing I feel like I can't wait until we can all get around a table together again. I have this bouncy anticipation like it's going to happen tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete