01 March 2011

Deployment Dialog – Day 133

We sometimes play the game “What Do You Miss” when we need a good topic to mull over.  The most common answer among the guys (well second I suppose to the obvious one, sex) is food.  I can’t wait to get back and get my hands on some real Mexican food, or some sushi, or Jason’s Deli.  Mmmmmmmm…………..  Anyway, there are many things I miss in addition to my wonderful family and the afore mentioned items.  Here’s just a few in no particular order:

·         Fire.  Making one, sitting by it, having the weather outside be cold enough to warrant one.  A fire sounds nice.
·         Coming home to little cries of “DADDY!” from the other end of the house.
·         The commute to work.  Drinking my coffee and rocking out, laughing, praising, arguing, or just relaxing to the radio.
·         The smell of Holly’s homemade bread engulfing the house.
·         Gardening.  I know I’ll make it home just in time to get our garden going for this year but I miss the planning and preparing part that we would have begun already.  Holly’s making me jealous because she’s helping her mother start their garden now in New Mexico.  I had a random desire the other day for the smell of the gardening store.
·         Cooking.  Making a meal from scratch and all the work and care that go into it.  Picking the right ingredients (especially from our garden) and chopping, stirring, tasting, and enjoying.  Along the same lines—
·         Grilling.  This never used to hold that much appeal for me.  It seemed like too much work to get the grill going, prep the food, take it outside, stand in the heat, etc, etc.  However, after getting a grill and using it for a while, really like the distinct flavors and dishes I’m able to make.
·         The farmers market.  Again, I’ll be able to participate in the one this coming summer but I missed out on the fall one so it’ll be a whole year since the wonders of the market.
·         Garage saleing.  I rarely find something for myself when we go but occasionally I find that one thing that makes it all worthwhile.  Plus, quality time with the fam.
·         My Church.  I told Holly soon after I got here that I realized we’d been spoiled for the last few years by Church at Red River.  The chapel doesn’t hold a candle to what we have there, neither Pastor Troy’s engaging lessons nor the warm faces every Friday night and Sunday morning.

I could go on but you get the idea.  I’m ready to go home.  I have roughly 49 days left and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment