07 March 2011

The Passing of a National Hero

I found out recently that a hero of mine passed away.  For anyone who’s ever watched an episode of Band of Brothers, you should have heard the name of Maj Richard "Dick" Winters.  After I first watched it I instantly respected the man (who usually himself gave personal accounts of events at the beginning of each episode) and all of the men and women who fought in WWII.  Since first watching the series I’ve watched it again at least a half dozen times (I now own a copy), bought and read the book by Steven Ambrose that inspired the series, as well as the accompanying book by Dick Winters himself.  I’m actually reading the Band of Brothers again while I’m deployed.  The words of Maj Winters’ men exalting his leadership and the words of Winters himself on the subject have shown me what leadership is and how I can learn to exude those qualities of the Greatest Generation.
I’ve never met the man but he has my respect and honor.  Never before or since had our nation faced such a threat as these men and they risked everything to defend it.  Rest in Peace Maj Winters.  Currahee”!


You can read Maj Winters’ Wikipedia page HERE and his obituary HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment