02 May 2010

E-mail Exchange

I sent my blog link to just about everyone in my contact list.  I received this reply from my good friend.  This is the kind of response I'm expecting to get from a lot of people:

Okay dude... You are officially creeping me out... Commune?!
-Friend

Yeah, so?!
-Me

I'm just saying, you don't have to go off and form a "commune" to have all the things you were talking about. That sort of thinking tends to breed an almost "cultist" ideology. I honestly had all of the things you talked about in your post growing up in a small town. I know for a fact that you can still find places like that in America (and they will continue to exist for many years to come). Just find a good small town setting that shares your values and plan to move there. Cutting yoruself off from the word is never the answer, and it can lead many good people of faith astray. As believers we have to remain in the world but not be of the world. If we all cut ourselves off, how could we be an influence for Christ in an unbelieving world? For a less radical viewpoint, take the Amish for example. good people with strong faith, but are they relevant to the world around them? Are they really influencing others for Christ or are they just hiding from society? I do "get" what you are saying, and I understand how scary it can be trying to raise a child in a climate that seems to frown more and more on Christian beliefs, but I just don't think withdrawing from society is the answer.
Just my opinion.
-Friend

No bud, you misunderstand. We're not planning on putting up a big wall around Fortress Deering. I want to be near some small towns, just not in them. We'll attend the local church, get groceries from the local market, etc. We're not cutting ourselves off, just trying to find a place where were we can stretch out.
The "commune" thing is just a gag. I don't know what else to call a large area where like minded people gather from all over the country to be around like-minded people, do you? Keep reading and I'll expound on what my idea is.
-Me

3 comments:

  1. i totally get you........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my Pop was more fatalistic about it.

    Pop - "You know those things never work, right?"

    Me - "Yeah, but it's not really like that. It's just all of us wanting to live near our friends and have land and rear our children in a safe environment"

    Pop - "Yeah, yeah, I suppose everbody ought to try it once."

    Which is what he says to anything he thinks is going to be a big flop, but may also end up being some sort of life lesson...general sentiment; 'It might be fun for a while, but it'll never last, so, whatever.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kind of the response I've seen from my dad as well. He hasn't put it in words but I kind of get a weird tone when I start discussing growing a Thanksgiving dinner and living on solar and wind power. Of course he should know me well enough to know that I don't do much without putting a lot of good thought behind it.

    ReplyDelete