15 May 2010

Presidental Speech

This past weekend the President gave a speech to the graduates of Hampton University. In it, he made the following comment:

And meanwhile, you're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of argument....And with iPods and iPads; and Xboxes and PlayStations...information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation.

I don't have a history of agreeing with the Pres but he makes a valid point. The point is also made in the book Better Off, by Eric Brende. Technology is very good and helpful, as long as it is actually helpful. What I mean is there comes a point where the cost of using a technology out weighs the benefit of it.

Take Facebook for example. It's great that I can keep up with all of my friends and family from around the world, see their kids and know what's going on with their lives. However that's also how I announced our pregnancy so I missed out on the initial excitement everyone else had. There is nationwide 3G, fastest, widest, etc. on our phones but we’ve also become slaves to them. Imagine going anywhere and not taking your cell phone with you, or only owning a landline. Ridiculous!

Where do we draw the line? Most (non-Amish) people would agree that the automobile is a good technology but do we need all the bells and whistles? On our family vacation we can get to our destination in a couple of hours instead of a couple of days but if our children spend that whole time nose down text messaging on a cell or eyes glued to a DVD player, aren’t they missing some of the beauty of the scenery and the, admittedly forced, interation with the family?

I’m trying to employ this thinking when buying. For instance I have a list of things that I want to get one day. One is a grind stone for sharpening axes and knives. I don’t have one, there really isn’t a reasonable substitution, and it’s a practical, useful tool. However, another thing is a log splitter for firewood. It saves time and energy but I, and eventually my children, am quite capable of swinging an axe and I would lose the workout in the cool outdoors and the feeling of accomplishment when done.

We’re planning on getting Droids when our plan allows at the end of the year but I’m getting it for the tools it provides, the GPS and ability to research if what I’m about to buy is a good deal or not, not to update my Twitter status (or my blog for that matter). We as Americans have gotten used to the here, now, faster when what we really need to is slow down, stop, and smell the proverbial roses.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in late grade school and early high school I had just been introduced to D&D and was very addicted. I tried to share with my father the excitement and joy I got out of crafting fantasy stories with my friends in which we were able to assume the roles of heroes fighting epic battles. In my youthful exuberance I even offered to induct him into the game. His response? "I'm too busy living real life to play a pretend life." That's my paraphrase, but it get's his core point across.

    At the time I was fairly offended, but now I get it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love playing D&D, and if we were all together I'd be prepping adventures post haste. However, lately my interest in frivolous entertainment was waned somewhat and I find I would rather be working at something that seems a bit more worthwhile; gardening, researching the Homestead Project, reading edifying books, exercising, etc. Unfortunately I don't have the habit of doing these things and my entertainment habit is quite ingrained. Yet, I feel on the cusp of a paradigm shift, and I yearn for something more fulfilling than the paper-shuffling/sound-byte/instant-gratification society within which we live.

    I just hope I have the wherewithal to put in the work necessary to attain the better life I can see at the edge of my grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same. I have Thursday nights set aside for my "alone" night. A time when I can just sit a play a game or watch a movie or do what ever I want that wouldn't normally work because of family or other priorities. However recently I've almost had to force myself to sit there and play. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of playing games that I used to. I spend a lot of time thinking about what I SHOULD be doing or what I COULD be doing. I still get a little thrill but it's not as engrossing as it used to be for me and it's easier to get off when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when joe and i got the van everyone gave us a hard time because we didn't want the DVD in it. I don't understand this thinking though I mean I LOVE talking to my kids. Granted there were times on our road trip to OH that it would have been easy to put in a DVD so I could just catch a few z's since I was really sick but then I would have missed out on all of Caden's questions and Casey's extreme excitement of being on a bridge or going through a tunnel! I completely agree tech. is great but there are some things that just shouldn't be replaced but a game or video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, next "alone night" try reading some of John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life......John Piper is amazing and this book is awesome. Life changing.

    Love ya, Donna

    ReplyDelete